SQLite Plugin is a plugin for the 4th Dimension programming language that gives you an embedded SQL database engine contained in a single plugin (no additional software needed). Having an extra database engine besides the built-in database engine of 4D, means that it’s an ideal solution to store or archive static data (like zip codes, statistics etc.). Since it supports large tables, it is also ideal to offload the 4D database.
The plugin is based on version 3 of the open source SQLite library (http://www.sqlite.org). This library is available for a variety of programming languages like PHP, Python, TCL, C, Java and .Net. This means you can access the same datafile from multiple programming languages if needed.
SQLite uses file-sharing for its datafiles, so there is no need for setting up additional server software. You can open multiple datafiles simultaneously and combine data coming from multiple datafiles in a single query. As its names already implies, SQLite uses SQL to access or manipulate data. This gives you all the advanced features for easily filtering, sorting and grouping data. Depending on the situation a single SQL statement can do the equivalent of multiple lines of code in 4D, saving you precious time.
On top of the features of SQLite library, the plugin adds rowsets and prepared SQL statements. Rowsets are much like a selection of records in 4D, making it easy for you to browse through the result of a query. Prepared SQL statements make it easy for you to construct valid SQL statements without having to worry about the proper use of quotes.
Here is a short list of all the available features:
- Multiple databases open simultaneously.
- Include data from multiple databases in a query.
- In memory databases (temporary databases).
- Unlimited fieldtypes (SQLite is typeless).
- Dynamic cache size.
- Atomic transactions.
- Combined indices.
- Temporary tables, views, indices, triggers.
- Conflict handling.
- Nested queries.
- Normal joins and left outer joins.
- Set operations (union, intersect, except).
- Built-in functions (string, mathematical, date/time).
- Includes several SQLite extensions such as FTS5, R-Tree, JSON, CSV, File I/O, Series, Closure, Fuzzy-matching, Spellfix, Regular expressions.
- Supports 64-bit mode on Mac & Windows.
- Works with 4D v12, v13, v14, v15 and v16.
The technical limitations are:
- Max. database size: 140 Terabytes.
- Max. 4 billion tables per database.
- Max. 4 billion records per table.
- Max. 2.000 columns per table.
Licensing & Pricing
SQLite Plugin has a very simple licensing scheme:
€ 300 per developer (unlimited deployment Mac & Windows)
Updates from version 3.0 are available for € 200 per license.
Version 4.0 is now available!
Click on the following links to download a demo version of SQLite Plugin.